RE: RE: RE: Cam swap break in?

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 21:04:10 EDT

There IS a break in period for ANY camshaft Sam.

Even Crane, CompCams, Elgin, and Crower will tell you this.

"IMPORTANT! Don't allow the engine to run
at less than 1500 RPM during the first halfhour
of operation. Slow engine speeds invite
premature cam and lifter wear and may
cause their ultimate failure. Change RPM
frequently to direct oil splash to different
areas of the camshaft. Vehicle may also
be driven during break-in period."

Even with used rollers, you still need to "break in" the camshaft.
Remember, they're coated with a special lube for initial break in.

- Bernd