Hypertech Power Programmer III

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 08:52:58 EDT

For those with 96-2000 5.2L/5.9L (no 4.7L at this time) Daks or Rams,
the Hypertech PP III is now available. For those not familiar with the
PPIII, it will store the stock pcm program, allow you to choose 1 or 2
supplied, modified programs and some parameter changes. Here's
some info. as supplied by KRC.

The rev limiter can be moved up or down by 500 rpms.
The speed limiter is bumped to 128 mph.
There are two calibration programs to choose from:
     one for 89 octane and other for 93 octane.
Speedometer can be calibrated for 24 to 44" tire sizes.
     (Someone has reported this can be done in 1/4" increments)
There is no tranny parameters control.
Only 1 VIN "STOCK" pcm can be used. If you reload the stock
     pcm program, the VIN get erased and you can use the PPIII
     on another Dak/Ram of the SAME year only. It will not work
     with a MP PCM.

Real world, performance gains are about 8 rwhp and 25 lb ft torque
(I assume that is if the 93 octane program is chosen). Naturally,
Hypertech is advertising a larger hp gain and some owners have
reported an 11 rwhp gain (I cannot confirm one way or another).

Raised max. rpm limiter is 5,750 rpm.

PPIII will work with 5-speed manual.

Not a really huge performance gainer but it is a viable option for
the 2001 owners (that do not want to pay about $620US for
the B&G flash) and for the 4x4 owners for which there are no
MP PCMs offerings.

A Ram owner is currently just testing a unit that he received.
Initially, he experienced a bit of pinging (may have gone away)
and problems loading the modified program (fortunately, he did
not lose his stock program).

So far, I've seen prices ranging in the $325US range. Also,
someone is trying to arrange a huge, group buy in the $275 range.

Just thought this information may be useful who are wondering
what the PPIII does for our trucks or for another computer option.

Bob