My two pennies about Bernd and SpeedTweaks

From: William Hall (abeercan@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 26 2002 - 17:40:49 EDT

Normally I just sit back and read the e-mails that
flow through the DML and usually delete most of them
that have nothing to do with what I feel like I need
to read. I am a minority on the list now since I own
a Gen-II (not quiet as small a minority as owning a
Gen-I, but close!). I very rarely respond to
questions posted on the DML simply b/c I feel like
people such as Bernd, Ron, Sir Bill, Jon and others
can handle the question with no problem. Every now
and then I see a question that needs and answer and I
respond to it. Every now and then I also see an
e-mail that requires a response from me. When I saw
the first e-mail about Speed Tweaks I wanted to
respond but decided not to take part of any "name
calling" games. I have since then decided to take
a stand and voice my personal opinions about the
situation.
   Bernd is a great guy. He has excellent automotive
parts knowledge and is one of the best Mopar men that
I know. Bernd has answered many many questions from
DML members without ever once requiring any type of
monetary payment. I do not know of many people who
will continue to answer the same questions over and
over without finally saying "Forget it! I don't
get paid enough to do this!" Bernd is one of the
few people I know that will share his knowledge and
experience to all whom ask. I personally feel that my
Mopar knowledge is a very advanced knowledge. Yet
there have been times that I could not figure out a
problem with a Mopar. One instance really stands out
in my mind. It was on a 97 Dakota with a 3.9litre
automatic. It would crank and then die almost
immediately. I had done all I could think of with the
sensors. All were reading properly. I had swapped
computers from a known good Dakota into the problem
Dakota. Still no change. I finally posted on the DML
and got several responses. One response was above all
others. Bernd e-mailed me personally and we sent a
few e-mails back and forth. On one of the last
e-mails regarding the 97 Dakota, Bernd said he would
call me and we would work on the truck together over
the phone. I still don't know what was wrong with the
Dakota, as it cranked up about 15 minutes before Bernd
called. While on the phone, he told me different
things to do to check the sensors. I turned the truck
off and cranked it several times while on the phone
with him. We both basically decided that whatever was
wrong it had some how fixed itself. I enjoyed having
the conversation with Bernd. He was the only person
from the DML willing to give up his personal time like
that to help me with the Dakota.
    While I have not actually bought anything from
Speed Tweaks, I had a very good experience with Bernd
before he mentioned opening Speed Tweaks. I could not
find a brass cap and rotor for my Dakota within 50
miles of my house. Bernd offered to go to his local
Pep Boys and buy a cap/rotor set for me and send it to
my house. I agreed to it and sent him the money via
Pay-Pal. Within a few days I received a factory boxed
Borg Warner Select brass cap and rotor set. I was
very pleased as Bernd kept me up to date the whole
time. I was also impressed with the speed that it got
to me. The fact that Bernd once again went out of his
way to help me was greatly appreciated as well. He
did not have to go out of his way to get me a cap and
rotor set.
    The bottom line is this: Life is short and times
can get very hard on anyone at any time. To see a man
down on his knees in hardship, then judge him and walk
away is the immoral thing to do. When you see a
fellow man down on his knees in hardship you should
perform a simple motion: Extend you hand and grasp
his, if he pulls you towards him, ask him if he wishes
you to pray with him for help. If he looks into your
eyes with pain, then lend your back to help lift the
man from the floor.

The other Will
96 Dakota - 408 stroker Paxton F/I
68 Charger - 440 6-pack