Re: what convertor to use with 390 stroker?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 16:07:20 EST

At 01:57 PM 10/29/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Just sent the block out to the machine shop for boring, the 390 should be
>all set in a month or so. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to
>what stall speed I should use for the torque convertor. I'll be using it in a
>street application. John S

For street use, a 3000 (flash) stall convertor is about as high as you should
go. I have a 3000 stall from SMR Transmissions in Ontario. On the street
and with his design, I barely notice it with my gears. Only when you hammer
the pedal will it immediately flash up to 3000 rpms ( and then, hang on :-) ).

For track use only, I should be running a 4000 stall convertor since my peak
torque was at 4400 rpm but. like most of us, our Daks are daily drivers. HTH.

SMR is owned by Pat Storey. He races (or did) a 97 hemi Dak in Super Stock.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
97 CC Dakota, 5.2L, 4x2, 44RE, 3.92SG, 4,075 lb (truck, driver, 3/8 tank)
Pre-ported heads: RW: 231.2 hp 340.0 torque PB: 14.313 @ 95.05