Re: removing broken bolt

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 01:02:30 EST

Hey, Russ,

<snip> Does anyone have advice for removing a broken bolt? This is one of
the
 bolts that hold the brake caliper on (not on my truck), and it is broken
off
 half-way inside the hole. The only thing I can think of is drilling it out
 and getting a new caliper. Any ideas?snip>

Maybe you can test out those new tools Bob Vila advertises for Sears. They
are similar to a left-hand, two-fluted endmill which are supposed to "bite"
into the remaining material (i.e. broken bolt) and remove it with a reverse
direction. As a former machinist, the theory is sound, but I have no
experience with those specific tools. I can't tell you what type of cutting
steel they're made of, or what their capabilited are in this situation...
HTH,

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
Averill Park, NY
2K DAK SY Sport + V6 4X4 5 Speed