Pro Comp Air Intake 97-99 Dakota/Durango 5.2L/5.9L

From: Bill (bill@nissley.com)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 06:40:11 EST

I mentioned this on the list last week, but nobody showed interest back
then. I did say that I would post a follow-up when I received it, and
here it is.

When I opened the box I was not very impressed with the sparse contents
of the box. It included the intake duct, a support bracket, TB gasket,
K&N filter and a small hardware package. There was no heat shield as
eluded to on the Mfg'rs website. The instruction skeet was a single 8.5
x 11 page with a diagram on one side and 1/2 page of instructions on the
other side.

The intake duct is a thick blow molded plastic. It is gray like their
photo shows and it has a pro comp logo silkscreened on the top. It isn't
as long as the K&N FIPK.

The support bracket is a nice stainless steel piece that attaches to the
2nd valve cover bolt and screws into the bottom of the intake duct near
the end where the filter attaches.

The installation was very simple, about a half an hour except for the
one problem area I ran into. To attach the intake to the TB, they give
you only a flat washer and a plain looking lock nut. It is recessed in a
pretty deep hole in the center of the intake. The S bolt that I had been
using was way too long now. I didn't like the idea of the plain bolt, so
I put a spacer in the hole and bought an air filter wing nut at AutoZone
to go on top.

Overall, I think that the quality is fine. I don't know how much it
matters, but I think that having the heat shield would be nice, but I am
not sure if it would be worth the extra $100. I like the gray color.

For a picture installed:

http://home.attbi.com/~billnis/intake.jpg

"Bill Nissley" <bill@nissley.com>
'98 CC SLT 2x4 5.2L V8 AT, White/Dftwd, 3" lift, ORI pre-runner light
bar with PIAA 80Pro XT series lights, 32" BFG M/T's, Yellow Box Speedo
Calib., Flowmaster Exhaust, Powergate, X-2000 bed cover, F/B 50mm
Throttle body & Pro Comp air intake.