Re: opinions please...

From: Russ Borman (xjruss@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 15:57:05 EST

What kind of terrain are you driving on? My trip involves a 4000' climb and
descent each way, not fun. I could probably do it with 3.55's but I fear I
would be stuck in 2nd gear the whole time (other than flat ground). I may
end up trying it anyway though.

14-15 does sound great for a 4000lb load. I get 10-12 if I'm lucky.

Russ

>From: Michael James Burns <burnsm@engin.umich.edu>
>To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
>CC: dml@dakota-truck.net
>Subject: Re: DML: opinions please...
>Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:20:21 -0500 (EST)
>

>I pull my car trailer (1800 lbs) and my toyota MR2 (2200 lbs) to the races
>with my truck and don't have any problems. I have a 2002 dakota sport
>with the 3.55 gears. If i pull this setup on the highway at about 65 mph
>with the overdrive off I get about 14-15 mpg, which I think is great.
>Without the trailer I get about 15-18 depending upon how much city driving
>I've done.
>
>I wouldn't think another 1000 lbs would make it un-do-able with the 3.55
>gears.
>
>just my 2 cents.
>
>Mike Burns
>University of Michigan
>Mechanical Engineering
>
>On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Russ Borman wrote:
>

> > Ok, so I want to buy a Weekend Warrior trailer to pull behind my Dak,
>total
> > load (quads, water, gas, etc...) will be between 5000-6000lbs. I have
> > pulled 4000lbs on a regular basis in the past and judging from some
>other
> > peoples posts recently I shouldn't have any disastrous problem with this
> > load.
> >
> > I want/need to have lower gears installed, called a couple shops who
>both
> > said they can't get 3.92 for the front D35 and that the dealer must have
> > some special deal to get that ratio. Anyway, they both said I would be
> > better off with 4.10's and I agree that it would be better for pulling
>the
> > load but I am a little hesitant.
> >
> > What does everyone think? Should I go for it? Will 4.10's destroy my
> > (solo) gas mileage? I average 13.7 mpg right now with 3.55's, mostly
> > driving back and forth to work which is about 50/50 city/hwy.
> >
> > Both shops quoted me $1400+ (D'oh!) for parts and install, do I dare
>call
> > the dealer and see what they want to install 3.92's?
> >
> > I really don't want to sell my Dak, but I can't afford to buy another
>truck
> > (used cummins) and a trailer so I'm hoping to make this work with the
>Dak.
> >
> > Your thoughts are appreciated,
> > Russ

> > Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access!
> > http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp

Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!  Try MSN.