Re: Gears?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 17:21:54 EST

"Sam Hotmail" <samjperez@hotmail.com> wrote:

: How do you determine if you have "sure grip" unlimited slip differential? I
: have crawled under the rear diff and found that it is a 10 bolt which I
: think I read in the FSM that this means it is a unlimited slip, but how do I
: know what gear ratio the rear end has. I know my dart had an 8 1/4 limited
: slip. One of the changes wish could have made.

   You can have an open or sure grip with any Dak differential, so just
looking at the cover you won't be able to tell. You can check the glove
box for a decal to see if it says on there, or you can give your VIN
number to any dealer and they can pull up the entire options list on
your truck, but if you want to be absolutely sure, it is easy to check.

  Sure grip:

    To determine wether you have sure grip or not, jack up the rear end
and spin one of the tires by hand. If both tires spin in the same
direction, you have sure grip. If one tire spins in the opposite
direction as the other, you have an open rear.

  Gear ratio:

   Once again, jack up the rear end of the truck. Make a mark on
the driveshaft, or use a balancing weight or some other mark on the
shaft as a reference. Spin the tires one full turn, and count the
number of rotations the driveshaft makes. If its about 3 and a half,
you have 3.55s, if its almost 4, you have 3.92s, etc. Note that if
you have an open rear end, I *think* you will need to hold the other
tire still, maybe wedge something against it or have a buddy hold
it so that it doesn't spin. (I'm not 100% sure on that though -
I've never done this on an open rear - maybe someone else can comment.)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'