Re: Dakota Drag Truck

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 23:59:48 EST

"youd better watch urself" <donkeydan69@hotmail.com> wrote:
: Say i wanna get a gen 3 and make a full on race truck. im guessing i wanna
: go 360 with a nice fogger system. should i try to find a v6 truck or would
: the 4 be just fine. im not really concrete on whether the motor mounts for
: the v8 and the 6 are the same, im assuming they are. that would be using a
: magnum motor of course. what if i wanted to use a pre-magnum block, how
: could i do that. i know schumacher makes the kit for the gen 2 but not the
: gen 3. really all i need is some input so i can get the ball rolling.

  A couple of folks have already mentioned this, but I'll just reiterate
that a GenII would probably be a better starting point, both for weight
and engine access. Even after you cram the engine in the GenIII bay,
you still have to get to it to work on it. (Will you have to pull the
engine to replace the intake manifold or change your plugs?) :-)

   If you're going for a full on race truck, I'd bypass the baby
motors and drop an RB mill in there. A 440 or perhaps a 500-600cid
wedge, with a roots blower poking up through the hood. :-) Or if
you've got the dough, a HEMI has a nice visual impact. :-) Feed
it with dual quads or a custom EFI system. I guess it depends on
what you want to do with it though. A 340 or a 360 is cheaper and
easier to get to rev high, but the big block will give you the
torque without having to rev. Given the weight of the Dak, I'd
kinda be leaning towards the big displacement. :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'