Can't get into 4-low

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 22:42:39 EST

Barry,
I've been sitting here thinking about this and have another question. When you put "it" in
neutral before attempting to shift into 4Lo, are you putting the tranny in neutral or the
transfer case. It sounds like you're putting the transfer case in neutral since you said
all you get is a nasty grind when you try to go into 4Lo. This indicates that the shafts
in the tranny are spinning which will not occur if the tranny is in neutral and you are at
a complete stand still.

Try the following. Put the truck in 4Hi at whatever speed you normally do. Stop the truck.
Put the transmission in neutral and hold your foot on the brake. Now push the transfer
case lever to the right and pull it back firmly. At this point you will be in 4Lo. Put the
transmission in drive, release the brake and drive away.

John

<snip>
It's never worked correctly since I got the truck.
Supposedly the dealer "serviced" it at 30k and 60k but I
doubt they could tell me what they did...
<unsnip>