Re: Dakota Drag Truck

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 16:47:47 EST

"Tony Cellana" <acellan1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

: Sometimes I have to wonder why people trailer in a 14 second vehicle.

: I will drive my R/T to all meets that it attends up to the point where it's
: not streetable.

: Oh well to each their own I guess ;-)

   I would... Wether a truck runs 7 seconds or 27 seconds, there is
always a risk of breaking at the track. If the track is far enough
away (not within my 100 mile AAA towing distance) then I absolutely
would trailer it in. That way, if something breaks, at least I know
I will be able to make it home. I have other responsibilities, and
can't hang out near the track waiting for the truck to get fixed in
order to drive home, and would prefer not to foot the bill for a
long distance flatbed tow.

   While there are certainly bragging rights to be had by driving
to the track and driving home, there is also an element of carelessness
in doing so. (Really just depends on the person's individual situation;
if you can spare the time to hang out at a local dealership waiting for
the truck to get fixed or if you can afford to have it towed home, more
power to ya.)

   I've had my 14 second Dak come home on a flatbed once when I tore
up the rearend at the track, and on another occasion, limped it home
with 3 bent valves. That track is just under 100 miles away from me.
If I race anywhere further away than that, it'll get to and from the
track on a trailer.

  I'm no boy scout, but I do like to be prepared. :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'