RE: RE: Bad serpentine belt?

From: Rick Barnes (barnesrv@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 09:58:14 EST

Yeah, the tensioners die after a while

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of BARRY
OLIVER
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 9:31 AM
To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
Subject: DML: RE: Bad serpentine belt?

I just had the same issue - in my case it turns out it was the Tensioner
that died (siezed up) and took the water pump with it...

>>> fawcett@bu.edu 11/10/02 07:30AM >>>

Dunno about the vibrating, but my '98 5.2L has had a steady diet of new
belts (I'm on my fourth one). I've heard all sorts of reasons from
crummy OEM sourcing on their belts to perhaps a problem with the viscous
coupling that controls the fan. The current belt has lasted a couple of
years now, so I'm tending towards bad belt manufacture for the first
three...

Anyway, the symtoms are almost exactly the same as mine (sans the
vibration) when the belts have gone south and needed replacing.
Tom