RE: Killed my truck :(

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 16:49:19 EST

-----Original Message-----
 On Behalf Of Dave McGuire
Subject: DML: Killed my truck :(

WOW!
I'm impressed. This is the first I've heard of a frame breaking just from
the application of load in the bed, and without hitting anything. This may
or may not apply to a '93, The FSM for my '99 outlines a frame repair in the
"frame and bumper" section.
Paraphrasing heavily: the frame channel can be weld repaired with MIG, TIG,
or stick.
3mm hole drilled to stop the crack.
"V" groove the crack for full penetration. You will probably have to find
some way to close the crack first. LOL
Grind the weld smooth and install a reinforcement channel over the repaired
area, welding only on the SIDE of the channel, not the top and bottom
flange.
Never drill holes in the top or bottom flange or in the channel side within
1 1/2 inches of the top or bottom.
Ideally, you should find a repair manual and take a look at the pictures and
cautions. Good luck and keep us posted.