New tires! and speedometer calibration numbers

From: Korey Atterberry (korey99@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 23:11:32 EST

Hey all-

  I just had my BFG AT KO's installed, and so far I love them! I got
the 30x9.5x15's to replace the factory Goodyear Eagle LS 255/65/15's on
the 15x8" rims. My truck is a 2000 2WD club cab with the 3.9L, and
there is still plenty of room. I probably could have fit the 31's if I
wanted to. Don Mallet did on his QC.

  It's not very often that I have anything other than stupid questions
to contribute to the list, but I did some measurements and analysis to
figure out the proper speedometer calibration for the new tires
(calculated by several timed miles at a constant speed on the
interstate). Hope this is of some help to somebody.

   Current computer calibration: 755 revs = 1mi

                      255/65/15 30x9.5x15
                      GY Eagle LS BFG AT KO
                      ----------- ---------
   Speedometer reads: 65mph 65mph
   Speedometer error: +2.9% +7.4%
   Actual speed: 66.9mph 69.8mph
   Actual rev/mi: 734.4 703.4

  This shows that my computer should have calibrated to about 734 for
the old goodyears (granted they were worn to near the end of their
life) and it should be calibrated to about 703 for the BFG's. The
BFG's are advertised at 705 rev/mi, so the calculations are pretty
close. The Goodyears aren't all that close to the 755 they're supposed
to be, but maybe that can explain my last speeding ticket!

Here's a table provided by Ron Wong a week or two ago listing the
possible speedometer calibrations.

Tire Size Revolutions/Mile
P215/75R15 760
P235/75R15 XL 729