Ball joint replacement for Gen III Daks

From: Stephen Cecil (scecil@npc.net)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 10:46:13 EST

This is a partial repost of a write-up I sent earlier this summer, seeing as
this has been a topic of discussion for the past few days:

"While installing a pair of Eibach lowered springs this weekend, I noticed both
upper ball joints were shot @ 32K miles. After surfing around, I found the Moog
part number of the replacement ones that bolt in on the Dodge Dakotas site. You
have to grind off the rivets on the old ones, but 2 minutes with a 4" angle
grinder made short work of them.

I got mine from CarQuest (part# K7242 upper ball joint) for $55 each. Ask for
the one's for a 97 or 98 Dakota. They have a zerk fitting for greasing, unlike
the stockers, and the rubber boot is MUCH stronger. I wouldn't get a new A-arm
assembly unless it was under warranty. You'll just have to replace them in
another ~30K miles."

If anyone has any questions on the install, feel free to email me offlist.

Steve
00 CC Sport+ 4.7L, Auto, 3.55 LSD, K&N, Dropped 2"/2", Eibach springs, Edelbrock
IAS Shocks, P275/60R15 Toyo Proxes S/T, Checkmate bed cover, Line-X bedliner