Re: Throttle body spacer

From: Ron Sobers (ron@rsx1.com)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 12:00:12 EST

    The only gains that a Throttle body spacer would have would be cooler
air flow... OH WAIT - that would only work with a carb!!! - DOH! Back in the
"old" days (BEFI - Before EFI), one wood take something as crude as a piece
of plywood, and sandwich it between the carb and the intake to keep the carb
cooler. Result was cooler gas, cooler 'charge' in the intake and one could
see a small (read: itsy-bitsy) increase in power (although I did notice a
tad better throttle response). Once the aftermarket learned of all the crude
things that shade-tree (like me) were using, they got all fancy.. and
started with aluminum spacers... DOH - they transferred the heat! Then out
came this fancy plastic/fiberglass stuff called Phenolic which did the job
rather well (from what I here), but cost a bit more money than digging out a
small piece of plywood.
    Now.. without actually looking into the actual flow characteristics of
stuff.... I could theorize for a minute. If you were the put a spacer ON TOP
of the throttle body it MIGHT increase the velocity of the airflow into the
throttle body. Again, this worked with a carb... but since the fuel delivery
is elsewhere (on the fuel rail) and controlled by a computer an increase is
not very likely.
    An engineer I am NOT, but I think I have a slight understanding of some
of this stuff through years of wasting money :-)

~Ron .... Denver, CO
ICQ#26868681
WWW.RSX1.com

'67 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible (For Sale)
'87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z (Parting 2)
'89 Shelby CSX-VNT #007
'98 Dodge Dakota Sport 4X4
'02 Chrysler Sebring LXI Sedan