RE: rotor like grinding sound ?

From: Gabriel A. Couriel (BigGabe@fiufiji.com)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 14:27:37 EST

yup... it'll get worse. that's how my original rotor got shot to hell.
it'll start creating a gouge in the rotor. what it is, is the caliper is
getting stuck to part of the rotor when it compresses. get the caliper
lubricated (however that is done). it'll save you $100 for a new rotor
(unless you are switching to new ones).

Gabe Couriel

http://frontpage.tripod.com/fijigabe0

---
1998 Dodge Dakota Club Cab Sport
3.9L V6
5-Speed Manual Transmission (AX-15)
3.21 Open Rear End

-----Original Message----- From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net [mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net]On Behalf Of mark janke Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 1:25 PM To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net Subject: DML: rotor like grinding sound ?

I just noticed this sound when I'm doing less than 5 mph and coming to a stop. It sounds almost like a pad going bad and grinding on your rotor. This sound is more of a plastic grinding noise though. I took off the tire, looked at the rotor and pads (I should mention I'm still on my original pads and rotor and this is a 1999 Dakota so I guess I'm in the minority here with 50,000 miles). Everything looks fine, plenty of pad, the rotor is smooth and not warped. I couldn't find anything loose or in the way or something that would rub against the tire or rotor.

Anyone ever run into this phantom noise? I should also ask does anyone know the size of the allen wrench that goes into the caliper? I think I've run the gamut of metric and standard and can't find one to fit.

Thanks