RE: rotor like grinding sound ?

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 19:07:49 EST

Better make sure you really have as much pad left as you think or you'll
have a rotor that looks like this:
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota/rotor1.jpg
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota/rotor2.jpg

And a pad that looks like this:
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota/pad.jpg

John
http://jndneff.home.texas.net/dakota/dakota.html

<snip>
I just noticed this sound when I'm doing less than 5
mph and coming to a stop. It sounds almost like a pad
going bad and grinding on your rotor. This sound is
more of a plastic grinding noise though. I took off
the tire, looked at the rotor and pads (I should
mention I'm still on my original pads and rotor and
this is a 1999 Dakota so I guess I'm in the minority
here with 50,000 miles). Everything looks fine,
plenty of pad, the rotor is smooth and not warped. I
couldn't find anything loose or in the way or
something that would rub against the tire or rotor.

Anyone ever run into this phantom noise? I should
also ask does anyone know the size of the allen wrench
that goes into the caliper? I think I've run the
gamut of metric and standard and can't find one to
fit.
<unsnip>