RE: Need advice on big road trip

From: DakotaJohn (jkp61@horizonview.net)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 10:46:26 EST

 I don't think you are crazy either, road trips can be fun and a good
experience, of course your added passenger could put a damper on that!;-)
  I used to run El Toro, CA to Lawson, MO in the early 80's when I went on
leave. The only regret I have now is that I did rush it. Seeing some of the
surrounding scenery as you go could make it more enjoyable. Now I drive a
semi all over, on a timetable, so I still don't have time to stop and smell
the roses, so to speak. Just be sure to take frequent breaks, even if you
are taking turns driving, get out and stretch, it will be a lot safer.
  As for gas stations, there should be plenty, especially truck stops as
long as you stay on the main routes. They do get fewer though the farther
west you go. You will go from seeing them at every exit, to every couple and
the several before the next. I remember a stretch in AZ that had signs
reminding you to get fuel since the next stop was 130 miles away!
  As for construction, you will find that everywhere, but a little less in
the winter due to the cold weather. The weather is a crapshoot, most states
usually have a 800# to the Highway Patrol listing weather conditions, that
could help. Weather changes so suddenly though in some areas during the
winter, that I would be prepared to stop at a motel if need be, safety being
the key factor. Some areas aren't prepared to remove a lot of snow that hits
at once and even if they are, they may not be able to keep up with it. I
have seen this a lot in IN and IL, I have gotten stranded more than once
there. If you don't already have them I would recommend getting a set of
cable chains to have along, kind of insurance.(even with a 4x4,just the
rear, because of ice) If you have them, you won't need them!, but they have
saved my butt in the past.
 Well I hope you all enjoy yourself and have a safe trip and a good holiday.
John