Really OT: Re: A call to all Canuk Dak owners

From: Steve (jsm@hardynet.com)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 18:14:08 EST

>Terrible Tom said:
>>
>> Well I can hardly blame then Jon LOL - When Americans will guzzle beers
>> like Bud, Coors, Miller, and ANY light american beer -- why not try to
>> sell us a skunk Canadian beer too? LOL
>
>Yeah, but they have to water it down before sending it to certain states
>(for example, Utah). The alcohol content of "beer" in Canada is
>sufficient to get it classified as "hard liquor" in Utah.
>
>I wish someone would have warned me before I first drank a Canadian beer.
>I know better now :-).

Sure hate to burst the beer bubble of everyone 'up north.' Many years
ago (81-87) I got to live in Montreal. How lucky can one be? While
there I got to know some folks that worked at Molson. They introduced
me to one of their brands, Brador. I already knew about LaBatt's Extra
Stock. In any event, I asked them what the major difference was
between the alcohol content between Canadian and U.S. beer. Their
response was, the way it is measured. In Canada most beer is 5% and in
the U.S. most beer is between 3.2% and 4%. The difference is that in
Canada it is measured by volume and in the U.S. it is measured by
weight. To convert you need to take approximately 25% off Canadian
volume to arrive at U.S. weight, or add 25% U.S. weight to get
Canadian volume. The real main difference between them is _how_ they
are brewed. Most Canadian beers will sit a little 'heavy' after
consumption compared to U.S. brews. That usually means one can not
drink as many Canadian beers as U.S. beers.

Now if you want to try some really good beers have a Duvel from
Belgium, an Ommegang or Hennepin from the brewery Ommegang in
Cooperstown, NY, or a Unibrew 10 from Quebec.

And whatever you do DON'T drink and drive your Dak. <BG>

Steve - From behind a hill somewhere in WV