Why white/blue bulbs don't last as long

From: Shane Craven (shanec@SPIE.org)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 17:13:53 EST

I was inquiring about Sylvania's Silverstar High Performace Halogen headlight bulbs for my 92 Dak ($50 for a pair) and below is the interesting reply...

Thank you for your inquiry.

The Silverstar lamps do not last as long as our standard lamps. This is
due to the blue absorption coating on the glass. It is this coating
that gives the light it's white appearance. However, the light must
work harder to penetrate the coating and therefore diminishes the life
of the bulb. Although I do not have specified life hours, the life of
the bulb is estimated to be approximately 1 year. This is provided that
you do not have day running lights and do an average amount of night
driving.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,
Lise Boisvert
OSRAM SYLVANIA
Automotive Lighting