Re: Re: RE: No Heat?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 14:22:27 EST

"Gary Hedlin" <ghedlin@theramp.net> wrote:

: well, i'm gonna try the t-stat first, since thats the one thing I can fix.
: Then if that doesnt work, the dealer is gonna have a verry p.o.'ed customer
: at the desk.

: I shouldnt need my carhart suit to go to the store :)

   Gary, what is the water temp gauge doing? If its sitting
where it normally does it is probably not the thermostat. If the
thermostat was stuck closed or nearly closed, the engine temp would
get really high, and you probably wouldn't have any interior heat
deficiency. :-) If it is stuck open, that might be a possibility,
but your temp needle would read way low. The fact that the air is
cold, and not just warm or "not hot enough" seems to say that there
is something wrong with the heating system itself. If it was just
the thermostat causing a low engine temp, the air would at least
be lukewarm if the heater system was working. Plus, if the engine
temp was actually low enough to cause a lack of interior heat, the
PCM would turn on the MIL and throw a code 17 at you.

  When the dealer fixed the heater core, did the heat work after that?
Sounds like there might be a complication that arose from that, or either
the heater core itself or a line is plugged. Have you done a lot of work
on the truck where you have taken the intake manifold off a few times
maybe, or used a lot of RTV? Sometimes RTV will work its way into the
coolant system and will clog your radiator and heater core.

  Anyway, just wanted to post a message when I saw your post; the
possibility that it is the t-stat can be fairly easily confirmed or
denied just from observation of the gauge (also feel the upper radiator
hose while the engine is warming up to be sure that the t-stat is opening)
No need to tear into the engine to get to the t-stat if it isn't the
culprit. (And it sounds like it isn't, for the various reasons I
mentioned above.)

  My money would be on a complication due to the recent work on the
heater core. (What was the reason the heater core was fixed the
first time? Did they say what the problem was?)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'