Re: Worst tank ever!

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 23:33:23 EST

Here is my take on cold weather and bad mileage:
An engine takes in "x" amount of air regardless of weather conditions. With
a drop in temperature, there is more oxygen in the "x amount" of air taken in
due to the colder air being more dense than the warm or hot summer time air.
In order to balance out this larger amount of oxygen that is taken in, the
ecu adds more fuel so the mixture doesn't run too lean. Since a majority of
the time the ecu is reading the O2 sensor for A/F mixture information, then
that majority of the time the ecu will continue to add more fuel to
compensate for the colder denser air coming into the engine. This is the
reason I can come up with that EFI automobiles get poorer gas mileage during
cold weather.

The other Will