RE: HELP what transmission do I have?"

From: Shadetreenut (shadetreenut@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 00:54:49 EST

>><< I have a 93 Dak and I am having major transmission problems and I an
>>needing
>>to find out which transmission I have. I have a V8 with an automatic with
>>overdrive. any input will be helpful. Thanks, Steve >>

>46RE also know as the 518. What kind of problem are you having?

>Bill White - http://www.bionicdodge.com

>'02 Dakota QC 4x4, SLT +, 4.7, 5 spd, 3.92 LSD
>'95 Dakota CC 4x42 SLT, 318, 5 spd, 3.55 LSD

The problems that I am having are that I can shift it into low gear and it
will go slowly into gear and then I can shift it manually into second and
when I manually shift it into third sometimes it will go into gear and
sometimes not. When I just put it in D and try to take off it is like it is
in nuetral along with some clanking coming from the tranny. I went ahead
and change out the filter hoping that it would help but to no avail. Sounds
to me like it is time for the rebuilder but I was needing to find out which
transmission I had so I could shop around $$$. Thanks to everybody that
responded. I was also wondering if it is impossible for a "shadetree"
mechanic like me to rebuild that transmission? Thanks again. Steve