Electrical Problem!!!

From: Greg (gsutinen@wi.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 17:10:09 EST

I've got a 2001 CC 4x4 with a new problem(for me at least). With the colder
weather these days, my radio will not work right away in the morning. The
buttons are all lit up, but the screen for the time and frequency goes black
with no sound coming from the speakers. This started about two weeks ago
when the temp is down to 10 degrees. Only did it twice for about 20 seconds
each time while backing out of my driveway. This morning it wouldn't come on
at all for my short 10 minute drive to work. Then just as I was going to
turn onto my works street I noticed the directionals were dead also. I sat
in the lot for a short time with the heater on looking in the fuse panel to
see what I might find thinking maybe it was a bad fuse. They are both on
different circuits. I then pushed the dash light dimmer thumb wheel up and
noticed the radios clock came on. I tried the blinkers and they worked. I'm
not sure if it was on before doing that, but noticed it out of the corner of
my eye as the numbers got brighter. Didn't get a chance to check if the cig
lighter worked before all was working again. Is there any way the dimmer for
the dash had anything to do with this occurring? Or was it a coincidence?
I've heard before of a bad common ground doing things like this. If so,
where might I look for it under the dash?
I called the dealer this morning and made an appointment for Thursday, but
would like to hear what you all might have to say about it.

Thanks,
Greg '01 CC Sport 4x4 4.7 auto