Re: Dakota Pictures!

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 06:09:13 EST

> "David Henry" <DML@henryweb.net> wrote:
>
> : Clicking on the pictures prings up the full 2250x1680 image size.
> : John, do you think the larger ones will be useable for a 1/4 size
> : picture on the calender?
>
> The size is good, unfortunately the dpi is only 72, so probably
> wouldn't work for a full size pic, but yep, they should be good
> for a 1/4 shot.

Okay, I'm certainly not an expert here, but I thought the dpi was strictly
an informational thing, isn't it? My impression was that it's just there
as a unit conversion factor (pixels to inches) to tell any desktop
publishing software the size of the original scan so that it can print it
out at the same size. What's to stop you from just changing the dpi
setting and leaving the image unaltered to get a different printed size?

Taking David's picture as an example: 2250x1680 at 72 dpi would be 31.25"
by 23.33" when printed. That's significantly larger than the calendar
:-).

So, if we don't touch the actual image but re-interpret it as 200 dpi,
wouldn't it just change the printed size to 11.25" by 8.4" and keep all of
the original resolution?

What am I missing?

Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario