Re: Dakota Pictures!

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 09:15:37 EST

Jon N. Benignus said:

>> Taking David's picture as an example: 2250x1680 at 72 dpi would be
>> 31.25" by 23.33" when printed.
> Yeowzers!
> At that resolution (72 Dots Per Inch) that size pic 31" x 23" would be
> illegible. The dots would b so far apart the image would be broken up so
> badly to make the image junk.

They'd be 1/72 of an inch apart, wouldn't they? Or rather, 1/72" square
in size. We're talking about a raster image here, not a newspaper-style
image made up of discrete ink drops.

> As for increasing resolution (72 dpi to 200 dpi), you cannot add
> resolution.

I'm not trying to increase the resolution. The resolution is 2250 pixels
by 1680 pixels. All I want to do is shrink the size of each pixel from
1/72" down to 1/200" in order to fit all those pixels in a smaller
physical space on paper.

It's just a translation from an abstract concept (pixels) to a physical
item (ink on paper). I remember printing a picture once with a program
that didn't understand the concept of dpi or even inches. My lovely
640x480 picture on the 300dpi printer came out looking like a postage
stamp. I put it in different software and got it the size I wanted.

> The more dots per inch (dpi) you have in the original image, the better
> detail it will have, and the bigger you can print it without losing
> image quality.

If you're scanning from a physical source, I agree. More dpi on the same
size physical image yields more pixels.

However, the image in question has already been scanned, the pixels are
already there. The only question on dpi is just to figure out how to
print it. We're trying to go from electronic storage to a physical image,
not the other way around.

I have to admit, I didn't really understand what the heck you were talking
about at first. After re-reading it, it looks like you're thinking of
scanning, is that correct? I think that's why I didn't get it. At least
I hope so :-).

Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario