Re: RE: Off Topic.. But need Dodge vs. Ford help

From: Jim Miller WB5OXQ (wb5oxq@grandecom.net)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 13:42:26 EST

The Cummins in the ram has always been the fuel mileage champ and from
owners I have talked to is a great performer. I know where a 89 is that is
currently over 400k and still running strong pulling a cattle trailer. I
even saw that truck pull a big gooseneck with a big Cat machine on it that
must have weighed at least 10,000 lbs. The truck owner said the ram could
pull the weight ok but needed more brakes for that big a load. The older
Cummins engines were not very quiet either but the 2003s seem nearly as
quiet as a gas engine and are barely audiable at idle even with the hood
open. I was told that it is because the new engine does not use an injector
pump like all other diesels have done (and Ferd ruins one about every 75k
miles) rather are computer driven injection similar to our gas magnums.
This eliminated the diesel bark and also gives better mileage, more power
and less exhaust smell. I am sure Ferd and GM will play catch up soon but
try out a new diesel ram and you will be surprised.