How to get the best price on a new truck, (was: Price of a 2002 Dak)

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 20:06:25 EST

Before I'd pay that $28K for a used 2002, I'd price a new one on Edmunds
just the way you want it. Make note of the invoice price and shop for a
dealer that will sell at invoice or $100.00 over. There's also a $2,500.00
rebate on 2003, or 0% financing, plus the 7/70 warranty.

I'm willing to travel up to 50 miles or so to save a few thousand dollars
and I've found 2 dealers within that range who will sell at invoice or 100
over with no haggling. My Dakota, Grand Cherokee and '97 Stratus cost me
$100 over invoice and my wife's 2002 Stratus R/T was bought at invoice.
Some local dealers would have you believe the sticker price is what they
paid for it and want to add another grand or so for "dealer profit". Avoid
them like the plague.:-)

The Dodge web site has a list of dealers within your preferred driving range
that you can contact via email for a new vehicle price quote. I emailed 5
for the Stratus, 4 replied, 2 tried to bull$hit me, 1 offered $100 over
invoice and 1 offered AT invoice. Guess where I bought.:-) Spent 15
minutes at the dealership to write up the order and give them a small
deposit, then about an hour for the paperwork when we picked up the car.
And of course you get the rebate, which we subtracted from the balance owed
(or financed).

RayB