Re: Re: What does your trans run at?

From: Mallett, Donald B (Donald.Mallett@BNSF.com)
Date: Sat Dec 14 2002 - 01:10:20 EST

I have had a temp gauge on my trans for over 1.5 years now. Stop and go
traffic it will rise up even with a cooler. Easy to say the hotter the air
temp. your driving in the hotter the trans will run and it even takes longer
to cool once you do get up to cruising speed. My trans after riding nice and
easy on the hi-way will quickly jump up 20+ deg when coming off a exit ramp
and getting into stop and go traffic.

I was pulling a trailer with a car on it and the bed loaded in 100deg+ in
bumper to bumper, slowing down to 5mph then back to 50mpg and then back to
5mph. Speeds went up & down like that for about 20 miles. The Trans temp.
went over 270 for most of it :-O The temp went down to 185 after the fight
with traffic and got moving at 60 mph for a while. Getting closer to home I
missed at T-storm. But the water was still on the roads and the exit I took
was about 6 inches under water. That temp took a nose dive after driving
thur the water at about 20mph.

Last week I replaced the 6 position switch in the dash to a 12 position
switch in order to hook up more probes. I added a few pix on the web site
about.

Don Mallett
Y2K QC 4.7L Auto SLT+
http://Geocities.com/maldbnsf/