Re: Re: Dual O2 sensor ideas...

From: Gary Hedlin (ghedlin@theramp.net)
Date: Sat Dec 14 2002 - 03:16:13 EST

Oh... one more tidbit...

On a dual sensor setup, the pre cat and post cat sensors are different. The
post cat sensor is adjusted to compensate for the effects of the exhaust
gasses passing through the platnum in the catalytic converter (which
converts carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide).

So, youre still dealing with 2 sensors sending out the same voltages (or so
I think)

Gary Hedlin

""Gary Hedlin"" <ghedlin@theramp.net> wrote in message

> If i'm not mistaken, It was explained to me that the reason for the 2
> sensors is because the PCM reads both of the voltages sent from the two
> sensors and determins the richness / leanness of the air to fuel ratio.
If
> sensor two reads the same as the first one, the PCM will take that number
> and adjust the air to fuel ratio accordingly.
>
> I had a situation a while back where one of the sensors was bad, and was
> tripping the check engine light. You could tell the air to fuel ratio was
> rich because of the disttinct gas smell I got from a day of gunning it at
> the strip. If one of the sensors are bad, your MPG's will go straight to
> hell.
>
> The theory behind Bernd's cat box is to emmulate the voltages sent by the
o2
> sensors. I doubt however its just a resistor in a pretty box. Annyway,
if
> the PCM is reading the voltages, and theyre the same, the PCM thinks
> everythings A-OK and put out the default air to fuel mix. I doubt the
PCM's
> [...]
> > subject to being smashed up (4x4). Also, the H or X pipe is often
> > back a ways - this might be too far from the engine for the computer
> > to respond to A/F events in time, or might cause the computer to be
> > constantly overcorrecting (porpoising).
> >

> > It seems to me that if it were possible to use 2 oxygen sensors,
> > both of the above problems would be solved - the catch is how to pull
> > it off? One idea would be to just take the O2 sensor connector and
> > Y each wire to create two connectors. I would guess this would work
> > OK for the ground wire and the two heating element wires, but what about
> > the signal wire? If both O2 sensors were reading 0.5v, what would be
the
> > reading be at the computer? 1v? 0.5v? none of the above? I have not
> > tried this so I'm not sure - what happens when two voltages come
together?
> > Do they add together or try to equalize at the same voltage or what? I
> > know that when you wire two batteries in parallel, the strong battery
> > discharges and the weak charges until they equalize at the same voltage;
> > would the same thing happen with the oxygen sensors?
> >
> > The above idea seems so simple that if it actually worked, everyone
> > would be doing it. So, I'm assuming it won't work to just tie the
> signals
> > of 2 oxygen sensors together. What about a circuit (either analog or
> > digital) which would generate a true average of the signals?
> >
> > If I remember right, 0v would be full lean and 1v would be full
> > rich. If that is the case, what about a variation of the above idea
> > where a circuit would pass through the lowest signal to the computer?
> > (For example, if the left O2 sensor was reading .6v and the right was
> > reading .7v, the .6v signal would be allowed to pass through to the
> > computer.) The idea there of course being to send the leanest signal
> > of the two to the computer to keep the engine safe (too rich is better
> > than too lean).
> >
> > Another variation of the above idea is a circuit which would
> constantly
> > shift between the two sensors. It would essentially be a switch which
> would
> > pass through the left O2 signal, then after X amount of time, allow the
> > right signal through instead, then after X amount of time, back to the
> > left sensor. The X amount of time would need to be determined, I would
> > suspect somewhere in the 1-5 second range?
> >

> > Some of the above ideas I am not sure would work, but some of them
> > I am fairly certain would work (it would just be a matter of building
> > it right). So... Does anybody have any experience, ideas, opinions,
> > etc. on any of the above?
> >

> > --
> >
> > -Jon-
> >
> > .---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or
> jon@jonsteiger.com ------.
> > | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot -
SEL

> > | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96
FireFly