92 Dakota 5.2L automatic a/c intermittent stall

From: will (k_kodiak2@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 24 2002 - 23:53:51 EST

<P>Hello,</P>
<P>I'm a new member to your group, although I've been
reading the archives for about three months. So I know
that many of you have lots of hands-on troubleshooting
experience. I searched throught the archives for some
info on my problem. No go.</P>
<P>So now I need your help, if possible. I had a
"crank, no start" condition about 2 weeks ago. Truck
was running rough and stalling in traffic. And
pinging. Then truck died. Strong crank, no start.
Truck was throwing 12, 14, 32, 51 codes. I paid a
mobile mechanic (2.5hrs) to diagnose my problem with
his $$$$ Snap-on scanner only to discover after
replacing the crank sensor he said was bad, that it
didn't fix my problem. Thank goodness for friends.
With his el-cheapo DVOM, he went through a few 'basic"
tests and discoverd the coil was bad.

Replaced coil. But idle was rough on start-up with new
coil. Then truck died. Wouldn't idle. I disconnected
MAP sensor (got the idea here on the list), and truck
idled fine. So I drove around for a few days with the
MAP sensor unplugged. No problems. No codes or MIL.
Then the truck started stalling out everywhere. And it
got progressively worse.

Bought/installed new WELLS MAP sensor from Autozone.
Wow! My truck idled so quietly, hard to tell it's
running. So I took out for relearn drive about 40
miles to the city. I noticed that check engine light
gone. Only maintenance light showing (O2 sensor?.
Truck has 120k miles). Never made it to city. Truck
sputtered a few times like it was running out of gas,
then caught itself, but it didnt' last. About two
minutes later it died. Strong crank, no start! No
codes. No MIL. Interestingly, no gas smell even though
i was pumping gas pedal. Too much traffic so I
couldn't hear fuel pump whirr, if any. Towed home.
About an hour later I thought I'd try starting the
truck. Heard the fuel pump whir. Truck started. I had
Autozone test their sensor. Failed test. Got a new
one.

Installed new MAP sensor. About thirty minutes later
my truck is stalled again. It almost seems as though
somebody pulled off the coil connector. That's how
sudden and quiet the stall is. Then tach drops to
zero. Although a couple of times the engine sputtered
like it was running out of gas. And I swear i heard
the fuel pump whir when i turned key to "on" position
after i stalled. No battery or other lamps lighting
except for "maintenance required" light. No codes.

That's where I am now. Truck half-dead while driving.
Brain half-baked in head. Wallet half-empty in pants.
Your expertise and advice will be most welcome. Thank
you.</P>
<P>Will 92</P>