Re: Re: RE: Gen1 gen2 difference

From: Jim Miller WB5OXQ (wb5oxq@grandecom.net)
Date: Wed Dec 25 2002 - 17:04:03 EST

Generation 1s were only made to support a 4 cyl or a v6. In 89 when Carrol
Shelby put a throttle body injected 318 into a Gen 1 there was no room for a
fan on the water pump so 2 noisy electric fans were sandwiched between the
condenser and the radiator. The next year the front radiator support, grill
and bumper were modified to accept the 318 engine but aparently little else
changed. the engines were by then throttle body injected until the Magnum
series came out with multiport injection, different heads and around 50 more
horses in the 318. I had an 89 Shelby and it was pretty quick off the line
but gave up much too early due to poor breathing. My sons Shelby Daytona
with a turbo charged 4 cyl engine could pass my by 50 on.