Re: Dakota's Corroded Wires

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 11:05:46 EST

> Normally a wire encased in rubber will not start corroding by itself,
> especially copper, even if it is wet. My suspicion is that the Dakota's
> wiring harness may allow two different types of metals to get too close
> together, which start a corrosive reaction. I know if you mix copper with
> other metals you can easily get a corrosive reaction. This is why
> electricians take extra precautions when wiring a house, not to get their
> copper wire next to metal pipes, even though they are incased in rubber.

Here in IL, electrical code requires all indoor wiring to be encased in
metal conduit. I don't think that just having the wires inside the metal
pipes would cuase them to corrode. I think that perhaps over time (years)
the different metals touching eachother could perhaps cause corrosion, but I
think it's only a slight possibility.

-Josh