Re: Bob Tom Scraps Dakota - Laws

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 17:43:06 EST

Ok, I think we're getting out of hand here. I built a Mustang GT to go
autocrossing and to just drive because I wanted to. So, you're going to
tell me that you'd like to see it illegal for me to drive that car b/c it's
got a gutted interior with racing seats and a roll cage??? Oh, and just an
FYI, removing excess interior parts will make your car lighter (although
marginally) and a full roll cage will stiffen the chassis and all but
ELIMINATE performance hindering body flex, while the slicks help you put the
power to the ground at the track. All of this (except the slicks- they
don't belong on the street) will actually help to increase the performance
and safety of the vehicle being driven. As someone who has no emissions
controls on a vehicle, I tend to concur that this may be wrong, but that
doesn't make it a "street racer" thing. Many good driving individuals gut
the cat or remove it for performance increases. Just because this is done,
doesn't mean that this person is a "street racer."

Oh, and one last thing.... Who out there hasn't street raced at one time or
another? It seemed like a good idea at the time, right? Everyone and I
mean Everyone including the little old ladies with the blue hair (as Bernd
can attest to LOL) once in a while get the urge to drop the hammer from a
red light.

It seems to me that you're saying that you want performance products banned
to keep the "street racers" off the road, but what you're forgetting is that
you don't need a modified car to race on the streets. You just need a car,
a motorcycle, a bicycle, a motorscooter...it doesn't even matter what, as
long as it's got wheels. If anything should be done to curtail the "street
racers" in your area, then perhaps you should become a lobbyist (since this
is such a big issue for you) and take this into your own obviously capable
hands and help to push through the legislature changes you so dearly "need."
Perhaps if you get involved with the "street racers" in your area and help
them to wise up to their actions, you could raise the responsability level
and make a difference. Anybody can complain about something. It takes a
real man to make a difference.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I just had to get this out. This is my OPINION
and therefore not grounded in any fact whatsoever (except the part about my
car) and should be taken as such.

-Josh
(putting on the flame retardant suit)