Re: Tapping noise?

From: Ken Allgood (kenallgood@cox.net)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 14:38:42 EST

Well, it is a 1990 Probe GL, using that lovely 2.2L 12 valve engine (yes,
2.2L, not 2.4).... Bro actually has a 1990 Mazda MX-6 with the exact same
engine... I'm tempted to go and tighten down the Rocker Arm Shaft, but
afraid I'd break either the bolt or the support bracket!! Already broke
one cause the Rocker Arm wasn't completely off the support bracket (DUH)...
I have started it up a couple of times, let it set for a few seconds, etc...
even ran it around the block 1 time and let it sit for about 2 min
running..... It seems to run fine, but that tapping noise is very
annoying.... Wondering if it's causing damage in there as well???? All of
the rocker arms line up well with the Cam as far as I can tell, but as I
said before, I am fairly new at this.... Also, what are the tappets you are
referring too?? All I did pretty much was remove the Rocker Arm Cover,
pull out both of the Rocker Arm Shafts, decided that removing the cylinder
head wasn't going to be worth while just to do the Valve Guide Seals, so put
it back together, and tap tap tap tap :(

Ken Allgood
97 CC SLT 5.2L