Re: Billet 4" stroker kit for 3.9

From: ScSilverdak (scsilverdak@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 19:32:56 EST

Did a little checking and I think I can do without that kit,
for what that kit costs plus the machine work required on the block to
assemble it....(boring, balancing, etc)
you'd have more than 4k in the shortblock, plus the labor involved in
pulling the engine to make the swap.
I could perform a cam swap, and a set of ported heads, and ported and gasket
matched intake for less than $1500.00 and get more power.

A V8 swap on my Dak would run close to $5K-$6K because the required wiring,
PCM, header, exhaust and a transmission swap would be mandatory.

Another problem on the newer Dak's has to do with the PCM, it is nearly
impossible to do a V8 swap because the PCM requires a VIN ## encoding, and a
V8 PCM will not accept the VIN ## of a non-V8 Dak.

I found a 5.9 Auto Quad cab Dak, and a 5.9 Auto Durango in a local
recycler's (both were 4WD, AND '01 models) I considered installing the
engine and matched transmissions from one of the wrecks, it wouldn't work
because the PCM's wouldn't accept the VIN ## from my
Dak.........The PCM controls and monitors the odometer readout so no go
there.

Ron-
'01 Dakota Sport 3.9 Supercharged
website: http://www.scsilverdak.com