Re: Intro - '99 Durango SLT 318 Auto PT 4WD

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 22:32:02 EST

Michael/Suzanne Farich wrote:
> while. But, I can sense the old desires within myself - is the transfer
> case used in the 318 models suitable for a 360, or larger small block,
> should that opportunity arise, if that transfer case ever quit, could I
> replace it with the full time transfer case to make this Durango full-time
> like the '79 Jimmy was,

The 318 and 360 use the same transfer cases for both full-time (NV242)
and part-time (NV231). I don't know if they're interchangeable, but I
can't think of a good reason why they wouldn't be.

> One regular maintenance item comes to mind already. The dealer I bought it
> from certified this Durango for 8/80k powertrain warranty. The service
> manager reviewed with me part of their procedures. I told them I asked
> cause I normally go through hoses, belts, fluids, filters, ... on fresh
> acquisitions just because I have no history information on these items. the
> service procedure for the transmission on this one was to fix a leaking pan
> gasket. They said normally they wouldn't even pull the pan or change the
> filter - that they reverse flush it through the cooler lines instead. The
> benefit is said to be that they can then get more of the old fluid removed
> before refilling with new fluid, plus they install seal conditioner with the
> new fluid

Was this a Dodge dealer? Both 5-Stars I've been to say that the best
way to change the fluid is to drop the pan, NOT to reverse-flush it.
Reverse-flushing and then not changing the filter sounds like a bad idea
to me. An independent transmission shop told me the same thing.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@yahoo.com -------------------------------------------- modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness --------------------------------------------