RE: Platinum and the 4.7

From: tkoth (tkoth@cox.net)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 09:40:10 EST

Well that was why I kept prying to try and get more
information, rather than "I heard they're bad for the
engine".
I have had the APP5224's in mine since june of 2000. About
33,000 miles. BUT.... we got back some quotes from the FSM
that cautioned against it due the potential for pre-ignition
so that works for me. I would still like to have some more
real information as to what the problem is. If the potential
for pre-ignition is the only problem then I feel better.

Steve, you caution against it because Bernd did over a year
ago. Can you tell us WHY ?!?! I mean... I could caution you
against drinking Starbucks coffee because of what a freind
of mine said..... And I know what your next question would
be !! :-)

I think I'll go dig through the archives a bit....

BTW ... I bought 8 5224's at Wally World yesterday. They
didn't have any 5223's, and they were only $ .96 each, so I
figured I couldn't go wrong. Not sure when I'll get around
to puttin 'em in .........

Tim

in Phoenix with plug envy ...

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 17:07:04 -0800
> From: "Clinton O Holter" <coholter@raytheon.com>
> Subject: DML: RE: Platinum and the 4.7
>
> I've really enjoyed reading all the posts of people
quoting
> their dealership mechanics as saying that platinum plugs
> are a no-no for 4.7s.
>
> I'd bet that the knowledge base of the dealership
mechanics is the Factory
> Service Manual.
> (It says it in the manual, so it must be a fact . . . duh)
>
> . . . . so much 2nd hand information about this supposed
problem with
> platinum plugs,
> if you want to believe it all, go ahead . . .
>
> Sooo, I waited till I got 30K miles on my Bosch 4417s to
say anything.
> They have worked perfectly since new.
> I have checked them every 10K, they always look great.
> The truck goes like stink, idles like a kitten . . . and
now she's got the
> HO cams . . .

> Steve's post -------
>Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 17:40:22 -0800
>From: "Saint" <saint1958@cox.net>
>Subject: DML: RE: RE: Platinum and the 4.7
>
>I did the same and seen nothing but clean plugs. However,
I caution on
>using them on high-output coil ignition as Bernd indicated
over a year ago