Re: Re: New Dodge truck Suspension

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 13:21:28 EST

<jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote in message
news:avho7m$qr4$1@bent.twistedbits.net...

> "Josh Battles" <jbattles@bankfinancial.com> wrote:
>
> : It seems that you're not too terribly bitter about the MB takeover of
> : ChryCo, Jon. Why don't you tell us how you really feel?
>

> I'm not bitter. Oh wait, yes I am. :-) Daimler-Benz took a
> beautiful thing and killed it. Even if they manage to make it work,
> nothing will change the way the takeover was executed (lies, deception
> and treason) - the ends do not justify the means. Like the Alamo,
> I will never forget. (And if I can help it, neither will any of you!)
;-)

Well Jon, you're entitled to be bitter and I agree with you that the
takeover was done in a very shady way.

> : I can sympathize with you on this, but I have also seen that advent of
some
> : cool new technology stuff in the new DC vehicles. They brought back the
> : HEMI for one. I'm not too against it, but it does make me upset that
> : there's not an american at the head of the DC steering wheel.
>

> How do we know they brought back the HEMI? Probably saying that they
> allowed the HEMI to be brought back would be more accurate. Also, given
> the design cycles and product planning cycles of a large corporation, it
> is very possible that the HEMI was on the drawing board for a while.
After
> all, the 4.7 is sort've the HEMI's baby brother, and that was designed
> when Chrysler was still Chrysler. To answer that question would take
> some insider knowledge, which unfortunately I don't have. I seem to
> recall reading somewhere that DC needed a replacement for the 360, and
> one of the techs thought it would be cool to bring back the HEMI, so it
> was one of the many designs considered, and after all the computer
> modeling was done, the HEMI came out on the top. So, if I haven't
> screwed up the details, the HEMI was born out of the passion of the
> employees, not from a mandate from the top.

I hadn't really thought of it this way, being a youngster I really don't
know that much about corporate planning cycles or anything like that.
Perhaps you should consider becoming a corporate spy in your spare time,
then we'd really know what's going on. Either that or we have to recruit a
DC exec to the list. I'm especially glad to hear that the employees kinda
asked to bring the hemi back, it was a great motor back in the day, the cars
that had them are still leading the pack in performance today. That says
alot for some "old technology." Thanks for the information I appreciate it.
Somebody's gotta keep me in line. :)

--
-Josh
2000 Dakota CC 3.9L