Re: 9" Rear In A Dak

From: tkoth (tkoth@cox.net)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 23:41:02 EST

That's the opposite of what I've read. I was basing my
comments on reviews in 4 Wheeler magazine where they called
the Dak's 9.25" rear "stronger than most 1/2 ton pickup rear
axles". If someone has real knowledge of the internals of
both then I cant argue. Like I said.... the 9" can be made
much stronger than the 9.25", but then we aren't comparing
stock axles. But that's where the real benefit of the 9"
lies, there are so many of them and so many after market
parts available that they realy are versatile.

Tim

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 18:32:52 +0000 (UTC)
> From: jon@dakota-truck.net
> Subject: Re: DML: 9" Rear In A Dak
>
> "tkoth" <tkoth@cox.net> wrote:
>
> : Jon, I'm not sure I fully agree with the one statement
about
> : the 9.25 not being up to task. At least when comparing
it to
> : the Ford 9". I think in stock trim the Dodge 9.25" is
> : sronger than a stock Ford 9". Or at least just as
strong.
> : Where the Ford realy wins out is that there's 400
kadjillion
> : of 'em out there and lots of aftermarket, high strength
> : parts for 'em. Much more parts availability than the
Dodge
> : 9.25". Plus they are more modular and easier to work on
than
> : other types of rear ends. This is coming from an
off-roaders
> : perspective with some limited drag racing experience,
> : probably much less than you guys. The other thing I'm
not
> : crazy about the Corporate 9.25" is the C clip design. In
any
> : case, through the aftermarket you can build a Ford 9"
into a
> : real strong axle. But those types of parts you cannot
find
> : for a Dodge 9.24".
>
> Tim,
>
> I don't wether it was on the DML or not (I am pretty
sure it
> was), but someone had posted some details about this a
while back.
> I don't remember the particulars, but the gist of it was
that the
> Ford 9" was stronger than the 8.25 and 9.25 due to the
design - the
> Ford has better support for the pinion gear, or something
like that?
> Had something to do with "clamping down" the internals so
that they
> do not have as much room to move around I think? I wish I
could
> remember the details, I searched the archives and didn't
come up
> with anything. Maybe someone reading this will remember
and can

jon@jonsteiger.com ------.
> | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec &
UL Pilot - SEL |
> | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder
1400, 96 FireFly |
http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'