Road trip statistics

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 14:08:42 EST

In case anyone is interested, here is the detailed report of our big
driving trip, along with the the statistics I collected from the GPS and
the overhead trip computer. The details on the route we followed are at
the bottom of the message. If you're not interested, just hit delete
now.

The method used to collect the stats below was to turn the GPS on
in the morning when we got in the truck, then not turn it off until we
stopped for the night. So it was on whenever we were stopped at gas
stations, for lunch, or whatever. It did not run overnight. Both the
GPS and overhead trip computer were reset at the same times: in our
driveway before leaving on the morning of Dec. 15, and in my parents
driveway before leaving on Jan. 2. The readings were taken upon arrival
at the same points.

Toronto to Salt Lake via I-70
includes sightseeing at Moab
-----------------------------

from the GPS:
odometer: 2407.8 mi
moving avg: 60.3 mph
overall avg: 43.9 mph
stopped time: 14:56:23
moving time: 39:55:46
total time: 54:52:09

from the overhead console:
trip: 2361 mi (see note 1, below)
avg: 16.8 mpg
time: 41:42

Salt Lake to Toronto via I-80
-----------------------------

from the GPS:
odometer: 1942.9 mi
moving avg: 65.0 mph
overall avg: 51.7 mph
stopped time: 07:40:39
moving time: 29:52:08
total time: 37:32:47

from the overhead console:
trip: 1905 mi
avg: 17.8 mpg (note 2)
time: 30:52

Overall, from GPS:
------------------
max speed: 86.7 mph
odometer: 4432.5 mi (note 3)

Notes
-----

1. I was quite surprised to see how much different the truck's odometer
is from the GPS. The speedometer doesn't quite match the speed on the
GPS either. When the speedometer indicates 70 mph, the GPS says we're
going about 71.5. Interestingly enough, our '95 is the opposite.
Indicating 70 shows about 67.5 on the GPS.

2. I attribute the fuel mileage difference to two things: the
sightseeing type driving we did around Moab (lots of slow driving on
side roads), and also the fact that the elevation of Salt Lake is 4000
feet higher than that of Toronto. All of that climbing had to make a
difference.

3. The total distance doesn't add up if you add the two trip distances.
This is due to the fact that we used the GPS a bit around Salt Lake,
then reset the trip distance only before heading home.

Routes followed:
----------------

Dec 15, 2002: Toronto to St. Louis
  Highway 401 west to 402
  402 west to Sarnia, ON
  crossed the border to Port Huron, MI
  I-69 west then south to Indianapolis
  I-70 west to St. Louis

Dec 16: St. Louis to Denver
  I-70 west the whole way, through MO, KS and CO

Dec 17: Denver to Moab
  I-70 west across the mountains in CO
  hwy 128 south past Cisco to hwy 191
  hwy 191 south to Moab

Dec 18: around Moab, then to Sandy (suburb of SLC)
  Arches National Park
  Dead Horse Point State Park
  hwy 191 north to I-70
  I-70 west through Green River to hwy 6
  hwy 6 north across Soldier Summit to I-15
  I-15 north to Sandy, UT

Jan 2: Sandy to Kearney, NE
  I-215 east then north to I-80
  I-80 east through WY and NE

Jan 3: Kearney to Sawyer, MI
  I-80 east through NE, IA, IL and IN to I-94
  I-94 north to MI

Jan 4: Sawyer to Toronto
  I-94 north then east to I-69
  I-69 north then east to Port Huron