Re: Exterior Appearances

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Sat Jan 11 2003 - 21:22:01 EST

At 04:47 PM 1/11/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>What is the best way to clean the premium alloy
>wheels? Also, where can I find touch up paint to fix
>some small knicks in the bed.

If you just have road grime/brake dust on them, I've found that wet paper
towels/shop towels work just fine. You can also buy fancy brushes, but
I've found that they don't clean into the small areas very well. If you've
got serious grime that won't come off with water and a little elbow grease,
some Simple Green works well. I also use it to scrub my tires, so I
usually just clean the wheels at the same time. They have various dilution
ratios for different types of cleaning, but I've found that roughly 4:1
(water:cleaner) works well for just about everything [not glass, though].

If you have metallic paint, good luck in finding touch-up paint that won't
be glaringly obvious unless you sand a slightly larger area and spray
it. The dealer will sell you a small bottle of touch up paint in the
original color, though anything that is not professionally matched will not
match your truck exactly (particularly, again, if you have metallic
paint). If you're looking for spray, oempaints.com is great, though a bit
expensive.

-Bill