Re: Way OT Now - WAS: Guns = no insurance???

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 23:49:02 EST

The Canadian Gun Registry?? The little ol' 2 million dollar expense that
will save a bunch of lives? Oh wait, it cost 1 billion dollars? Oh,
there's no way to connect it with saving even one life?

Darn, another screw up by the Canadian Liberal Party, who woulda thunk it?.

I'm not too "with it" when it comes to firearms law here in Canada, however,
I have read in several places that the vast majority of weapons being
registered were long rifles. Now, what criminal in their right mind would
hold up a convenience store with a bolt action .308 hunting rifle?

I agree with the idea of a registy in principle as well. Unfortunately, I
don't think that there's any way of implementing it to have any of the
effects that anti-gun lobbyists exhort. Sure, you could take a ballistic
sample of every gun that is imported into Canada, and make registration a
part of purchasing a weapon legally. The bad guys will still have guns.