books/info about solid axle suspensions?

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 15:08:03 EST

  Just wondering if anyone might happen to know of any good resources
for information about solid front axles? Books, magazines, web sites,
etc. I already did a web search, but didn't come up with anything.

   Basically what I am looking for is information which would be
useful to someone looking to design a solid front axle suspsension
from the ground up, or transplanting a solid front axle into a formerly
IFS equipped vehicle. Things like, the best way to mount the axle
locating bars on a coil over suspension so as to prevent binding and
increase articulation, how to select the proper coil over or leaf
spring for a particular weight and intended use, same thing for
shocks, etc.

   I saw a magazine about sand rails in the newsstand once that had
all sorts of information like this for the long travel IFS suspensions
they use - talked about the arcs of the A arms, camber, etc. I'm
basically looking for the same info but for solid front axles.
(I would also be interested in similar info for solid rear axles.)

    Essentially what I want this info for is I have a feeling that some
day, in one capacity or another, I am going to be involved in a solid
front axle swap and would like to know more about them, but also, a long
term goal of mine is to build a custom tube frame vehicle with some
serious off roading ability. (think: downsized Scoripion or a 4x4 go-kart
on steroids) ;-) I have the basic tools and ability to tackle either of
these projects, but no theoretical background or experience. I'm hoping
to fill that void. I realize that a properly designed and executed
IFS would probably be more capable than a solid front axle, but I
envision such a system to be much more expensive and involved than
what I need.

  Anybody know of anything that might help?

  Thanks!

                                              -Jon-

 .---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------.
 | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
 | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly |