Re: books/info about solid axle suspensions?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 01:33:03 EST

Tom Buban <biokiller@ameritech.net> wrote:

: Jon-

: Well there is alot that goes into designing a suspension. This is what
: my buddy and I do. He has a full time off-road shop. It really isn't
: something you can just read about and do. Alot of things are trial and
: error.
: We have a design for a ifs rock buggy. But it will cost to much for use
: to build!!
: I spent lots on my front solid axle in my Dakota. but you need some good
: working knowledge of suspensions first.
: I'm not trying to discourage you. I love the do it yourself!!! Nothing
: more satisfying than doing a job yourself.

   No discouragement taken. :-) I realize that suspensions are quite
involved, and can be something of a black art at times. That's
why I want to try and get a good theoretical background before tackling
any actual projects. I figure that mistakes are much less expensive in
paper and ink than in rubber and steel. :-) The more I can learn from
others' mistakes the better. I figured there would also be some
commonly accepted "correct" ways to build a suspension which would be
a good starting point for any IFS swap or scratch built project.

: For spring rates, you need to weigh each corner of the truck. Subtract
: what you take off after that, then add what you will be putting back on.
: This will give you your spring rate. Go to racerunners web site, I think
: they give you all the specifics.

   I wasn't able to find that site - do you have a URL or more info?

: Let me know if I can help, it gets hard to explain things sometime, but
: I will do my best.

    Thanks! At this point, I'm not sure I even know enough to ask the
right questions. However, one of my primary questions so far is, with
a coil-over suspension, how do you stop the axle from walking side to
side and front to back, while still allowing it to move up and down
for good articulation?

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'