Re: Gen II and Gen III Rear End Width

From: B1LLYW@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 08:09:00 EST

In a message dated 1/18/2003 1:50:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jon@dakota-truck.net writes:

<<< I take it the 9" fell through? If you were going to go to the
trouble to swap in a 9.25", I think you would probably be better
served by going with an 8.75" instead. There are certain musclecar
era applications which are a perfect size for the GenII Dak, as is. My
understanding is that its about as bolt-in as you can get with a rearend
swap. I don't recall all the details, but Ray Block and Mark Kuzia are
two of the DMLers who have done them, the details of which are no doubt
buried in the archives somewhere. I'm not sure if Mark is still on the
list, but Ray is an active poster.>>>

But, unless you find a complete housing at a great price, an 8 3/4 is
expensive. After you get done buying axles ($300+), a chunk with gears and
posi ($600+), you figure out what brake hardware you need, master install
kit, etc. - the 8 3/4 is an expensive proposition. The 9 1/4 is a lot more
common and for my use (aggressive street/no strip) would probably work out.
I've already seen a couple around $500 for complete units.

Bill White - http://www.bionicdodge.com

'02 Dakota QC 4x4, SLT +, 4.7, 5 spd, 3.92 LSD
'95 Dakota CC 4x2, SLT, 318, 5 spd, 3.55 LSD