Re: what oil to use on new engine

From: B1LLYW@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 09:05:56 EST

In a message dated 1/23/2003 9:02:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Pukeloser@aol.com writes:

<<<Hey all,

I am in the process of installing my 390 stroker and need to get oil for the
motor. I'd like to use a synthetic but I remember the guys at hughes engines
saying that alot of oils have reduced the level of sulfates(or phosphates or

something) in order to comply with new emissions standards but that it causes

the oil to lubricate less effectively. Does anyone know which oil brands have

not switched over to the new formulation? I was thinking Redline had not
switched but figured I'd check with the list first.

John S.>>

Here's what I'm doing with my 408, John. I'm going to break it in on Castrol
GTX 10w30, change it at 1,000 miles on the new motor with more of the same,
and then switch to synthetic when I hit 4,000 miles on the motor.

For synthetic, I run Mobil 1.

Bill White - http://www.bionicdodge.com

'02 Dakota QC 4x4, SLT +, 4.7, 5 spd, 3.92 LSD
'95 Dakota CC 4x2, SLT, 318, 5 spd, 3.55 LSD