Re: 408 and EMMISIONS

From: John Burgan (jgburgan@radicus.net)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 20:00:18 EST

> I'm in MD as well. The test you spoke of is only on odb2 cars and trucks,
> thus the 96 and up dakotas. TJ with the 93 will still have to pass the
> sniffer test. With my old 93, even with mods it passed so far under all
the
> standards it was a joke. As long as your truck had a factory installed v8
> and you dont go too crazy on the cam in the 408 I dont see where you would
> have a problem passing
>

> Greg Conner
> 1996 RC
> 3.9 hybrid

I would have to agree with you on this one. My '96 which was modded up quite
a bit including MP headers, Dynomax Cat, MP computer, FABM, IAT sensor
hanging out in the wind, ect.... would pass with flying colors everytime.
The old Maryland emmisions test really was a joke. This was before they
started plugging into the diagnostic port on OBII vehicles.

Another trick to passing the old test if you have a 95 or earlier is to go
in the rain. The 'highly qualified' drones that the state of Md employs have
a really hard time not spinning the tires on the dyno and will give you just
the tailpipe test instead. Especially if you have a 5 spd. ;)

-John