Re: Front End Clunk (AGAIN!)

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 20:14:56 EST

Hey, Hop

<snip> Could it be possible that the shock's are too long? If the shock
bottomed
out when it compresses it could break the bolt no problem.
 Bernd was runnin procomps but, his truck was lifted. Could it be that on
 y'alls dakota that the bump stops are worn?<snip>

Ok... Somewhere else to investigate...(sheesh)... By bump-stop, you're
referring to what the FSM refers to as the jounce/rebound bumper, right? I
assume from the terminology, that they are made from some sort of rubber? If
not, & they're made from some other material that can wear, what are the
wear specs for the bump stops- i.e.- if I throw a vernier caliper or depth
gage on the bump stop, what's the min that I should find? Obviously, I'll
check both sides to confirm each dimension (contingent upon the ambient
windchill temps, of course). If one is ok & the other is past the wear
limit, should I replace one or both? If the driver's (problem) side IS worn
past it's design limit, what would cause one side to crap out & not the
other? The passenger side has been ok from the get-go.

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
(dazed & confused)
Averill Park, NY
2K DAK SY Sport + V6 4X4 5 Speed